Ghana’s largest opposition party the National Democratic Congress (NDC) in a press conference in Accra outlined some promises that are believed would make way into their manifesto for the 2020 election. In the Press Conference led by the party’s National Communication Officer, Sammy Gyamfi, he explained the forthcoming general elections as a referendum on President Nana Akufo-Addo’s performance.
According to Sammy Gyamfi, the President, Nana Akufo-Addo has failed miserably with the promises he made to Ghanaians during his campaign in the last election in 2016. He further went on to state that:
“Today, the cost of living is so high and unbearable for the vast majority of Ghanaians due to the bad governance of President Akufo-Addo”
Sammy Gyamfi gave 18 comprehensive promises that will be fulfilled by the party’s Presidential candidate John Dramani Mahama when Ghanaians re-elect him to lead the country in the upcoming December 2020 election.
18 Promises that will be implemented by John Dramani Mahama
- All Customers of the collapsed financial institutions will receive in full, all amount of monies lost to the collapsed institutions
- Government size will be reduced to at least 40 Ministers to minimize government expenditure
- Implement a National Apprenticeship program in line with his rapid industrialization and job creation vision
- Free Technical and Vocational Education (TVET)
- Abolish the 50% increment in the Communication Service Tax
- Construct Regional Hospitals for each of the 6 newly created regions
- Modern Health facilities for Districts without Hospitals
- Construct first of its kind “Onipa Nua” Hospital Ship to provide service to communities on the Volta waterways
- Construct 2 new International Standard Infectious Diseases Center including 2 International Research centers
- Abolish SHS double-track system
- Build new University Campuses in all the 6 newly created regions
- Abolish mandatory National Service and Licensure exams for teacher trainees
- Automatic employment for Nursing Trainee graduates
- Free distribution of Cocoa fertilizer and chemicals to Cocoa farmers
- Complete all abandoned and uncompleted hospitals and health facilities, educational facilities and road projects
- Prosecute corrupt officials and bring to end nepotism
- Train and pay all Assembly members
- Complete the Eastern Corridor roads, dualize Aflao, Cape Coast, and Kumasi roads.
Sammy Gyamfi elaborated that in August, the National Democratic Congress (NDC) will be launching their manifesto for the forthcoming December 2020 election.